An extremely old drink, Red Wine Sangria comes from Spain and Portugal and dates back thousands of years. Cinnamon and fruit were the traditional ingredients in the original Sangria. Because we add soda water and a perfect amount of wine to brandy, our sangria has a light, sparkling flavor. Summer is the perfect time to enjoy red wine Sangria.
This colorful, festive fruity red sangria makes a grand statement at any party. This easy recipe is loaded with fresh fruits and flavors. The citrus fruits make it a refreshing cocktail.
Those who like Vegan & Vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Please join my Facebook page if you enjoy cooking vegetarian/vegan dishes – Pinch Of Flavours
At the end of this post is a recipe card and a disclosure of Amazon affiliate links.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
About Red Wine Sangria Recipe
Sangria is one of my favorite drinks to have with friends – it’s festive, fun, fruity, and refreshing. Sangria is an inexpensive and straightforward cocktail. Make a pitcherful of cool drinks, invite friends over, and enjoy the sun during a fabulous happy hour. Enjoy the season.
Traditional Spanish cocktails are made with red wine, fruit, soda, and liqueur. Red wine sangria is a beverage that originated in Spain. Make this delicious homemade cocktail for your next house party or just to sip on during a quiet night back at home.
There are plenty of sangrias available in stores that are made with white or rosé wine today, but in this recipe, I use red wine to create a more traditional Spanish sangria. The recipe is perfect for summer entertaining, but since it calls for red wine, it’s also great throughout the year. Aromatic, floral, and bursting with fresh fruit, it’s sweet but not too sweet. It’s a must-try!
Besides being easy to make, the prep work for sangria wine takes only 10 minutes. You can personalize and mix this refreshing beverage however you like.
Three types of citrus fruits – lemons, limes, and oranges – make up the classic fruit combination for Spanish sangria.
Here’s what this Red Wine Sangria is:
- orange and fruity
- with smooth texture
- A bit boozy
- A little sweet
- 750 ml – Red wine
- 1/4 cup – Brandy
- 1/4 cup – Simple syrup or maple syrup
- 1 – Imported orange (cut into thin slices)
- 2 – Lime (cut into thin slices)
- 1/2 – Green or red apple (cut into small pieces)
- 2 cups – Club soda
- Ice for serving
- Cinnamon stick for decoration
In order to make this Spanish summer cocktail, you will only need a few ingredients, and the drink can be customized to your liking. The good thing about sangria is that it’s not standardized. Almost any ingredient can be added or removed.
Red Wine – Red wine is the basis of sangria. Choose any red wine that you like. All of the wines, expensive and inexpensive, high tannins (red wine) and low tannins (white wine) anything works good.
Make sangria with an inexpensive wine. You can also use leftover wine.
Brandy – In the past, red wine and brandy were added together. If you prefer, you can substitute rum, gin, or vodka.
This drink also works well with liquors with orange flavors, such as grand mariner and triple sec. You can make your sangria stronger or weaker depending on how strong you want it.
Maple syrup – Adds a little sweetness to the drink. Sweetener is not necessary if your fruits are already very sweet.
Fruits – If you have any fruits available, add them. You will find listed below a list of fruits that can be added to sangria.
Club Soda – For topping the glasses, you will need club soda. Sparkling water is also acceptable.
Ice – This sangria drink is best served over ice.
Others – For decoration or a change in flavor, add a cinnamon stick.
Check out the Red Wine Sangria Recipe Video:
How To Make Red Wine Sangria Recipe Step By Step With Photo:
- The first step is to prepare the fruits. Slicing the orange into thin slices is the first step. Next, slice two limes into thin slices. Then wash and cut half an apple. Break it into small pieces. The other half can be used elsewhere. Slice pomegranates and use half of the seeds for sangria and the rest for something else.
- Note: Please note that any fruit will do. For a different taste each time, make sangria with seasonal fruits. Pour the fruit into the pitcher closer to serving time, if it is watery.
- In a large pitcher, combine orange slices, lime slices, pomegranate seeds, and chopped green or red apples. Mix slightly to release the flavors.
- Top with 750 ml red wine.
- Mix well 1/4 cups brandy and 1/4 cup simple syrup. You can substitute brandy with rum, vodka, triple sec, cognac, or contreau.
- Add sweetner like maple syrup or simple syrup at this point only if your fruits are not very sweet other wise you can skip this step.
- Mix a little and then you should refrigerate the sangria for at least four hours or overnight.
- 2 cups club soda should be added just before serving.
- Put ice in the glass and serve with chill sangria.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- Spend some time chilling. If you chill the sangria, you allow the fresh fruits to infuse it with a sweet, fresh flavor. Sangria won’t be as balanced or as fruity if you cut the time short. The best flavor comes from letting it chill for several hours or overnight.
- Adapt to your taste. To make the perfect cocktail at home, adjust the taste according to your preferences. Adding an extra splash of orange juice or maple syrup will make the sangria sweeter. Prefer a stronger drink? Increase the Cointreau or brandy amount. Have fun experimenting with flavor combinations.
- You can change it up! As written, this recipe is fantastic, but feel free to experiment with it. After cooling, add a little club soda to your sangria if you’d like it bubbly. You can substitute another seasonal fruit like strawberries or pears for raspberries or apples. Add a cinnamon stick to the pitcher before chilling for a spiced-up variation. Share what you come up with!
- If you wish, you may substitute any orange liquor for the brandy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which wine made it the best?
Sangria can be made with any bold red wine. Avoid buying expensive bottles. Anything under $10 is fine. My favorite wines for making red wine sangria are listed below.
What fruits are used for making it?
The following are the fruits that can be used to make Sangria. Change it up each time and try different fruits.
- Green or red apples
With rum, how do you make it?
Many classic sangria recipes call for rum instead of brandy. Replace brandy in sangria with dark rum. Even vodka can be used to make sangria.
Some other drink recipes you would like on my blog – Shikanji – Best Summer Drinks, Jaljeera | Summer Refreshing Drink | Jal Jeera Recipe, Beetroot Pomegranate Lemonade, Cucumber Lime Agua Fresca | Summer Special Juice.Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
*SOME OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST ARE AFFILIATE LINKS AND WE WILL RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE AFTER CLICKING ON OUR LINK. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR WORK HERE AT Pinchofflavours!