Cauliflower Red Lentil CurrySoup – Lentil Soup With Veggies is made with spiced red lentils and cauliflower is a tasty vegan Indian dish! You can make it with lentils and cauliflower for a delicious gluten-free, low carb, and low-calorie meal! The flavor is outstanding.
I have been looking forward to sharing this curry with you all! 30 minutes is all you need to prepare this hearty, versatile meal. Shall we begin?
Those who like Vegan & Vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Please join my Facebook page if you enjoy cooking vegetarian/vegan dishes – Pinch Of Flavours
At the end of this post is a recipe card and a disclosure of Amazon affiliate links.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
When I was trying to use up leftovers from the week, I came up with this recipe on a whim. It took me less than 30 minutes to prepare dinner (since I was hungry).
The first step is to wash and cook the red lentils, which I recommend doing in a separate pan. I have found that red lentils cook really quickly (less than 10 minutes), and taste better when boiled or cooked separately.
Then boil the cauliflower and potatoes and we will then fry them separately. Then we will cook our soup with some spices and herbs to get that outstanding flavor.
About Cauliflower Red Lentil Curry Soup Recipe
One of our absolute favorites has got to be this soup or curry recipe. With its warm and inviting spices, it’s creamy and delicious. As an added bonus, you can utilize the vegetables you have in your fridge.
Recipe for an Indian-inspired lentil-cauliflower soup from the Oh She Glows book by Angela Liddon. In this hearty soup, lentils and cauliflower make for an inexpensive, budget-friendly meal.
What makes the simplest soups taste the best? Even though it doesn’t look fancy at first glance, this soup’s flavor will delight your taste buds.
A budget-friendly meal can be made with lentils and cauliflower, while Indian spices like curry powder and fresh ginger are sure to warm you up on a cool day. Leftovers get better as they sit, so I tend to enjoy them more.
Every time I create this curry, I get so infatuated with it. I think you will too! Here it is:
- 1 big – Cauliflower
- 6 medium – Potato cut in halves
- 1 big – Onion sliced
- 1 cup – Red lentil
- 1 big – Tomato grated
- 4 tbsp – Olive oil
- 2 – Cardamom pods
- 1 inch – Ginger grated
- 4 cloves -Garlic minced
- 3 – Green chilly chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp – Cumin powder
- 1 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp – Red chili powder
- 3/4 cup – Coconut milk
Cauliflower – It is important to use fresh cauliflower for this recipe.
Potatoes – Use medium any kind of potatoes and cut them in half.
Coconut milk – Using canned coconut milk in this recipe is recommended. If you prefer a lighter version, use light coconut milk instead.
Red lentil – It is only necessary to use red lentils in this recipe. Brown or green lentils should not be substituted.
Tomatoes – To make this recipe, you will need one (14.5oz) can of diced tomato. Alternatively, grated fresh tomatoes could be used as well.
Green chilies – I used chopped green chilies a little but if you like your soup spicy you can add more.
Others – This dish combines the flavors of fresh garlic and ginger with some spices like mustard seeds, garam masala powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt to taste.
Check out the Cauliflower Red Lentil Curry Soup Recipe Video:
How To Make Cauliflower Red Lentil Curry Soup Recipe Step By Step With Photo:
- Boil water in a pan. Wash red lentils thoroughly in water before cooking.
- Now add the washed red lentil into the boiling water. On a medium-high flame, boil red lentil for 10 minutes.
- Drain boiled red lentils from the lentil water. Keep it aside.
- Add cauliflower florets in boiling water, boil for 5 minutes on medium flame. After 5 minutes take out the cauliflower florets separate them from water. Keep it aside.
- On medium flame, boil the potatoes in boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes take them out and keep them aside.
- In a frying pan, on medium-high flame add olive oil, when oil smokes out add the boiled cauliflower florets.
- Add salt according to your taste. Add red chili powder fry for 6 minutes and stir for 5 minutes till golden brown.
- When golden brown take out. Keep aside.
- In the same frying pan, add the boiled potatoes in the same oil fry them for 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add salt to taste and red chili powder.
- After frying the potatoes take them out and keep them aside.
- In a frying pan, add olive oil on medium-high flame add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and broken cardamom pods.
- Once they splutter add onion sliced.
- Fry them till the onion is translucent add little salt it makes the onions fry quickly.
- Add garlic minced, grated ginger, green chili chopped. Keep stirring.
- Add grated tomato, fry for a few minutes.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder,garam masala powder .Keep stirring.
- Add the fried potatoes and cauliflower florets and mix well.
- Now add 2 cups of hot water.
- Add the boiled red lentil mix everything.
- Adjust salt according to your taste, add coconut milk and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes remove the lid and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Cauliflower potato lentil soup is ready to be served.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- Garlic and ginger should be fresh. This dish is so much better with fresh ginger and garlic rather than powdered spices.
- Red lentils should be used. A variety of lentils are available, each with its own flavor, cooking method, and cooking time. Red lentils are the only ones suitable for this recipe.
The dish should be served immediately over rice or vegan naan. Fresh cilantro should be sprinkled on top.
A curry that has not been eaten should be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days. It can also be frozen, but not longer than a month. Make sure it is out of the freezer the night before serving. On low heat, reheat it gently.
Frequently Asked Questions
How far in advance can I prepare this recipe?
On the second day, curry is usually at its best, as the flavors have been allowed to marinate. In an airtight container, you can store this curry in the refrigerator up to 3 days in advance. Wait to make the rice until right before serving the curry.
Does this recipe contain gluten?
Certainly! This is true. This curry dish pairs well with cauliflower rice to make it low carb and grain-freePrint
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
*SOME OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST ARE AFFILIATE LINKS AND WE WILL RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE AFTER CLICKING ON OUR LINK. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR WORK HERE AT Pinchofflavours!