Instant Pot Mint Rice (Pudina Pulao) | mint rice | Instantpot rice is a fragrant one-pot rice recipe made in an Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, or on the stovetop, with fresh mint leaves, green chilies, garlic, ginger, lime, and ginger within just 30 minutes.
A great weeknight dinner or lunch dish, this vegan rice dish is simple and easy. This mint pulao will take your breath away! I love the aroma and flavor of it, not to mention the pretty green color.
Those who like vegan & vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Those of you who have been reading our blog for some time already know that we make videos for each recipe on our YouTube channel.
A delicious pulao with fresh mint and potatoes made in the instant pot makes use of fresh mint or pudina, potatoes, and Basmati rice.
The recipe for this fragrant vegan rice is spicy, tasty, and it can be made in under 30 minutes!
Some other Instant pot recipes you will like on my blog – Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala – Instant pot healthy recipes, Instant Pot Vegan Tuscan Spinach Rigatoni, Dal Palak Instant Pot | Spinach And Lentil Recipe, Instant Pot Dum Aloo.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
Fresh mint from your garden can be used to make this Instant Pot mint pulao! It is also possible to pick some mint leaves up at your nearest grocery store or farmers’ market.
I remember my mom making lip-smacking dishes from leftovers all the time! The elderly woman would say that greens get rotten very quickly if not used at the right time, so use them as soon as they’re fresh.
If you use green chilis, it can be spicy depending on how much you use. It’s a light dish that’s decently spiced. Almost anyone can enjoy this gluten-free, vegan dish.
Mint is an important source of antioxidants, which is why it is recommended for treating indigestion, right? This simple rice recipe pairs well with raita/yogurt. It’s a combination of mint and pudina, known as Pudina Pulao.
There’s nothing heavy about this dish; it’s mildly spiced and, depending on how many serrano/green chilies you use, possibly spicy. There’s no gluten or dairy in this recipe, making it ideal for almost everyone.
I list peas and potatoes in the recipe but feel free to use whatever you like. It is essentially mint flavor rice with vegetables – in this recipe, I list peas and potatoes. You could also use corn or carrots in this recipe. If you add extra vegetables, just make sure you adjust the salt accordingly.
About Instant Pot Mint Rice (Pudina Pulao) recipes
Pulao with mint is very easy to prepare since there isn’t much sautéing involved. Just create a mint paste, you combine several ingredients. You next cook the mint in oil with whole spices for a few minutes.
All the ingredients go in the pressure cooker and wait for it to do its thing. Served with a hint of Indian spices, this side dish is extremely flavorful.
In order to make any recipe involving mint, the first step is to clean it thoroughly. The leafy vegetable mint grows near the ground. It is no wonder the leaves pick up so much dirt. So clean them very well.
Leaves should be picked from the stem – Leaves should be removed from the stem. Mint has a hardy stem. We can use the mint stem tip if it is tender.
The leaves should be washed under running water and then soaked in a bowl of water. Use your fingers to gently scrub.
The leaves should be removed gently from the water without causing too much disruption. Leaves will be floating on top, while dirt will be settled at the bottom.
This recipe will appeal to you for a number of reasons,
- Obviously, the mint leaves give the dish its flavor, refreshment, and aroma
- The Instant Pot makes this very easy, simple, and quick
- Vegetable of your choice can be used
- Neither gluten nor dairy is used in this recipe
- In 30 minutes or less, you can make this recipe
- 1 cup – Basmati rice
- 1 cup – Mint Leaves
- 1/2 cup – Coriander leaves
- 1 medium – Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup – Frozen peas
- 1/4 cup – Cashewnuts
- 4 – Green chilly chopped
- 2 medium- Potato diced
- 6 – Garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp – Oil
- 1 tbsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 – Bay leaf
- 1 – Star anise
- 2 – Cloves
- 1 – Cinnamon stick
- 1 – Cardamon
- Water as required
Mint / Pudina leaves – Remove mint leaves from a large bunch and wash very well.
Basmati rice – It works best with basmati rice. Rice made out of sona masori can be used as well. Water quantity needs to be adjusted based on the type of rice we use.
Vegetables – Coriander leaves, onion chopped, frozen peas, green chilly chopped, garlic cloves chopped and some potato diced,
Whole Spices – cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, star anise, and fennel seeds.
Roasted cashews and raisins – these can be left out but add a lot of flavor and texture.
Oil – Rice is more aromatic when it is cooked in canola oil. For those who are not vegan, ghee may also be substituted.
Cashew – It’s not necessary, but the flavor and texture are great. Gives an extra crunchy flavor to the rice.
Check out the Instant Pot Mint Rice (Pudina Pulao) Recipe :
How To Make Instant Pot Mint Rice (Pudina Pulao) Step By Step With Photo:
- Soak the Basmati rice for 30minutes after that drain out the water.
- In a grinder, add mint leaves, coriander leaves, garlic cloves, ginger chopped, green chilly chopped, cumin seeds, and water.
- Make a smooth paste.
- Saute mode on add oil and butter.
- Add bay leaf, star anise, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Add 1/4 cup cashews stir for one minute.
- Add 1 cup onions sautee till translucent.
- Add potatoes and frozen peas saute them. Add coriander paste and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, and basmati rice.
- Mix well and add water.
- Press cancel. Close the lid. Turn the valve to the sealing position. Pressure cook for 9 minutes. After 9 minutes, let the pressure release then open the lid.
- Pudina Rice is ready to be served
Stove Top Pressure Cooker Method:
- Blend together green chilies, garlic pod, ginger, cilantro, mint, and cumin seeds until smooth and keep aside.
- Once the oil and butter are hot, add the cumin seeds and whole spices to the pressure cooker and cook for another 30 seconds.
- After adding the onions, saute them until they turn translucent.
- In the next step, add the mint-coriander-turmeric mixture, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Adding salt, soaked rice, water, and stirring well will finish the preparation
- Cook the food under medium pressure for two whistles on a closed lid
- Mix well with fried cashews as garnish. Remove lid away from you.
- Served hot with yogurt or raita, the mint rice is ready.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- The step of soaking the rice before cooking is optional when cooking basmati rice in an Instant Pot. The cooking time will need to be increased by another 10 minutes if it is not soaked.
- In addition, you can use any other type of grain or substitute it with another alternative. Please note, however, that the cooking time will be different then.
- Unless you’re vegan, prepare this recipe using ghee. For greater nutrition, add more vegetables to this Instant Pot potato rice recipe like bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, edamame, or even beans/legumes or paneer/tofu.
- A fresh mint leaf or pudina is served with this vegan rice recipe as it gives it a refreshing flavor and aroma. Dried mint leaves do not have the same effect as fresh mint leaves.
- Refrigerate this pudina rice for four to five days. Also, its shelf life is three months when frozen.
- For those without an Instant Pot, you can also use a regular pressure cooker or stovetop.
- Masala paste should not be overcooked or it will turn dark.
Sprinkle chopped mint and cilantro on the Instant Pot potato pudina rice. Put some lemon juice on top. Adding some raw chopped onions will also enhance the flavor. It’s best served warm
Whether you serve Pudina Rice with yogurt or raita, it will be delicious.
Rice with mint can be kept in the refrigerator for about three to four days if sealed tightly. You must have a tight-fitting lid on the container and it must be clean and dry before using it.
Put the pan or microwave on to reheat. Sprinkle water on top if it becomes too dry before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you prepare pudina rice in a pressure cooker?
You can follow the same procedure as an instant pot and close the lid, place a whistle, and cook for two whistles on medium heat. Pudina pulao prepared using a pressure cooker.
For future use, how can mint be preserved?
You can powder mint leaves if you have excess mint leaves and keep them for a long time. The leaves should be washed well and spread on a kitchen cloth for 2-3 hours to remove any excess moisture.
Layout the leaves on a baking tray and cover them with a muslin cloth. The leaves should be dried for 1-3 days in the shade. The dried leaves can be ground into a fine powder using a grinder. During the first two to three months, store in an airtight container at room temperature.Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.