A delicious Indian salad toast that you can include in your diet is the Smashed Chickpea High Protein Salad Toasts Recipe. It is an excellent between-meal snack because it is packed with vitamins and protein.
- 3 – Sour dough bread cut into slices
- 1 – Bay leaf
- 4 – Garlic cloves
- 1 – Cinnamon stick
- 3 – Bell pepper ( Green, yellow, Red)
- 1 cup – Black chickpea (soaked)
- 1 big – Tomato (sliced)
- 2 tbsp – Lemon juice
- 3 – Green chili (chopped)
- Pink salt to taste
- Black pepper powder
- 3 tbsp – Vegan Greek Yogurt or Vegan Plain Yogurt
- 1 – Ripe Avocado
- Olive oil as required
- Soak the black and raw chickpea overnight in water. Drain out the water in the morning.
- Add the chickpea to a pressure cooker and add bay leaf, garlic cloves, and cinnamon stick. Add 2 cups water.
- Add 1 tsp salt and mix well.
- Cook for 15 minutes or 4 whistles till the chickpeas are boiled.
- Take sourdough bread of your choice and cut them into slices.
- Now finely chop the onions.
- Now cut the ripe avocado and dice them into cubes.
- Take the diced avocadoes in a bowl.
- Now mash them and make a coarse paste.
- Now open the pressure cooker lid and check with fingers by crushing one chickpea whether it is cooked or not. If it mashes well then it’s cooked.
- Drain out the water and take out the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and garlic cloves. (Garlic cloves you can add as they are boiled and gives a nice flavor to the salad as I have done).
- Take out the cooked chickpeas in a bowl and with the help of a masher mash them coarsely.
- Now add the lemon juice, chopped onions, green chilis, green, red, and yellow finely chopped bell peppers.
- Add black pepper powder and salt to taste.
- Add olive oil.
- Then add vegan greek yogurt.
- Mix them nicely.
- Now in an air fryer add the bread slices on parchment paper.
- Drizzle some oil on the bread slices and spread with the help of a brush.
- Air fry the bread slices for 5 minutes at 380 degrees F.
- After 5 minutes take them out with the help of a tong. They are nice and crisp. If you want you can toast them on the stovetop too.
- Now place the bread slices on a plate and spread the mashed avocado paste we prepared over the bread slices.
- Spread the black chickpea mixture on the avocado spread.
- Add tomato slices on top of them.
- Sprinkle black pepper powder and salt over them.
- Your Smashed Chickpea High Protein Salad Toasts is ready to be served.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- You should begin by draining and rinsing your chickpeas (if desired)!
- If you are running behind, you can leave them intact – but the flavors you get from mashing them are irresistible!
- The chickpeas should be placed in a large bowl, then mashed with a fork or potato masher until the desired consistency is achieved.
- The time has come for tasting! You can add more vegan mayo or vegan greek yogurt if you think it needs more creaminess! Do you want more zing? (Optional) Add more vegan mustard! Are you not getting enough salt? Be sure to add salt! Tasting and adjusting are always encouraged 🙂.
- This chickpea salad really needs something HEARTY to hold up. It would be best to serve this salad with a slice of good sourdough bread.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish, Snack
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: Serves 3 (serving size: 1 topped toast)
- Calories: 310Kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 650 mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: chickpea salad, toasts, Smashed Chickpea Salad