Palak Kadhi pakora/spinach fritter Kadhi – Air Fryer Recipe is crisp and tasty Palak Kadhi Pakoda is made from spinach leaves, gram flour (besan), onion, herbs, and spices. The spinach fritters are dipped into a spicy, tangy yogurt sauce known as Kadhi.
For spinach fritters/palak pakora:
- 200 gms – Spinach leaves (shredded)
- 1 cup – Besan/Chickpea flour (for pakora)
- 2 tbsp – Green chili chopped
- Pink salt or regular salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Carom seeds
- 1 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup – Water
- 1 cup – Besan/ Chickpea flour (kadhi)
- 2 cup – Dairy-free Yogurt/ Plain yogurt if not vegan
- 1 tsp – Red chilly powder
- Pink salt to taste
- 3 to 4 cups – Water (a little more if required)
- 2 tbsp – Oil for air frying pakoras
- 2 tbsp – Oil for frying onion
- 1 tsp – Black Mustard seeds/Rai
- 1 tbsp – Ginger (Julienne)
- 4 cloves – Garlic (minced)
- 1 cup – Onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp – Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 cup – Onion sliced
- 2 tbsp – Green chili chopped
- 1 tbsp – Red chili powder
- Pink salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp – Coriander leaves chopped
- For Spinach fritters: Wash and clean the spinach leaves thoroughly in water preferable use organic ones. In a mixing bowl, add the shredded or chopped spinach leaves.
- Then add pink salt according to taste, carom seeds, green chilly chopped, and turmeric powder.
- Add chickpea flour or besan. And then add 1/2 cup water.
- Mix everything together. Then use washed hands to mix everything nicely.
- Take a small portion and make round balls.
- Prepare all in the same manner.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chickpea flour, yogurt, red chilly powder, and pink salt or regular salt according to taste.
- And then add 1 cup of water.
- Mix everything nicely together. Check the consistency of the batter it should be runny.
- In an air fryer, place a parchment paper. Add some oil to the parchment paper.
- Place some palak pakoras and then use a brush to grease the oil on the palak pakoras. Air fry them at 380° F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the palak pakoras are crisp golden they are ready to take them out and keep them aside.
- For kadhi: In a frying pan, add oil, mustard seeds, ginger julienne, garlic cloves chopped, and asafoetida/hing stir for 30 seconds.
- Add onion chopped, mix for 1 minute then add green chili chopped, red chili powder, pink salt, and turmeric powder.
- Mix well everything and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add yogurt mixture.
- Mix everything nicely for 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups more water. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. Check the consistency of the kadhi if you want thick then don’t add more water and if you want thin kadhi you can add water and then simmer. The more you simmer the kadhi tastes great.
- Add the palak pakoras to the kadhi and then mix well.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix everything nicely.
- For tempering: Take a Tadka pan, add ghee or oil if vegan.
- Add mustard seeds, and asafoetida, then turn off the flame and then add red chilly powder.
- Now pour the tempering over the kadi and mix well.
- Palak kadi pakora is ready to be served.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.[equipments]
- Leftover curd used in kadhi is a delicious way to use up sour curd. When making Kadhi pakora, I always use sour curd since it adds a subtle tang to the flavor.
- Be sure to use good quality gram flour/besan when using gram flour. Even when it is within the shelf life, store-bought flour goes rancid and is bitter within a few months. You should always test the flour before using it in a recipe.
- Gram flour/ besan is always used to make pakoras, in contrast to rice flour, semolina, or corn starch. A small amount of rice flour makes them extremely crispy. To create a great texture, you can use fine semolina or corn starch instead of rice flour.
- To make spinach pakoras, the mixture should be thick, like dough, rather than batter-like. Their crisp texture comes from the thick mixture. When making palak pakora, sprinkle more water and mix the ingredients to make a loose batter instead of crisp ones. Oily pakoras may also result from the loose batter.
- When sour curd isn’t readily available, you can either add 1/2 teaspoon of Amchur powder (dried mango powder) or a teaspoon of lemon juice to enhance the sour flavor.
- Curdling can be prevented by always using room-temperature curd or yogurt. The mustard seeds should be simmering at this point. Slowly add the yogurt-besan mixture to them. If the heat is raised too high, it may curdle the kadhi.
- Adjust water with besan as per the thickness you want your kadhi.
- The two most important steps in making a delicious Kadhi are simmering and stirring – give the Kadhi plenty of time to simmer slowly and long. It is the slow cooking method that gives Kadhi pakora its distinctive flavor and taste. Make sure you stir the Kadhi regularly to prevent it from burning or sticking to the pan’s bottom.
- Take 2 teaspoons of hot oil and add it to the pakora batter while frying the pakora. The batter should sizzle, and the oil should be mixed in well. As a result, the pakoras will be light and fluffy. The oil is not hot enough for pakoras if the batter does not sizzle.
- Pakoras should always be fried on medium heat. If there is insufficient oil, the pakoras will absorb it. Similarly, avoid frying at a high temperature since you risk getting raw or undercooked pakoras with a crispy, overcooked outside.
- Cook the tadka or tempering on low heat to prevent the mustard seeds, and red chili powder from burning and becoming bitter.
- Remember to use ghee or oil for the last tadka: it adds flavor and truly makes the dish pop, so don’t skip it! For the final tadka, I like to use ghee since it provides a lot of flavor and aroma. The Kashmiri red chili powder adds a lovely color to the top.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Air-fry
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 4 people
- Calories: 350 kcal
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 1350mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: Air fryer pakoda, pakora, palak pakora, air fryer pakora