The Delicious Dum Aloo gravy can be prepared in the Instant Pot in about 40 minutes including NPR and offers a delicious, easy-to-make dish for your family.
- 15 pieces – Baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup – Onion chopped
- 5 cloves – Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp – Grated ginger
- 2 tbsp – Dairy-free yogurt like coconut yogurt or plain yogurt if not vegan
- 2 tbsp – Tomato puree
- 3 inch – Cinnamon
- 4 – Cardamom
- 4 -Cloves
- 8 – Black pepper
- 1 – Bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp – Hing
- 1 tbsp – Kashmiri red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp Dry kasuri methi
- 1 tsp – Garam masala powder
- Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup – Water
- 4 tbsp – Refined oil or any vegetable oil
- With a knife, slit four, equal-sized slits around each potato, using equidistant intervals.
- Heat a pan or Instant pot to save time I am frying the baby potatoes in a different pan. You can do it on Instant pot itself. Keep medium flame. Add oil. When the oil smokes add cumin seeds, add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, whole black pepper, and bay leaf.
- Add all the potatoes and fry them. Add salt according to taste. Let them shallow fry until they are evenly brown from all sides. Take out and keep them aside.
- Turn on saute mode of Instant Pot for 30 minutes. Switch the selected setting to “Normal” and wait for the display to read “Hot.” Hot mode started. Add oil, then hing or asafoetida, onions chopped. Saute for 1 minute then add grated ginger, and garlic chopped. Keep stirring till translucent.
- Add tomato puree and Kashmiri red chilly powder. Keep stirring.
- Add all the fried potatoes and mix everything nicely. Add water. Add salt,garam masala powder, and dairy-free yogurt or plain yogurt if not vegan Mix everything nicely.
- Turn the valve to sealing. Close the lid. Press cancel. Turn on the pressure cook button. You can cook a dish in a pressure cooker mode on high for 6 minutes. Once cooked, wait for 10 minutes and turn the valve to venting position let the steam be allowed to release naturally (NPR) after the red plug goes down.
- Let the red plug go down and then open the lid. Add coriander leaves chopped and dry crushed Kasuri methi. Mix well. Serve in a bowl.
- Serve in a bowl with hot naan or paratha or rice.
- If you want a one-pot meal, shallow fry the potatoes in the Instant Pot, then set them aside. I do it separately because I do both steps at the same time. That helps me shorten the cooking time by 5-6 minutes.
- Deep-frying potato is a traditional method of making dum aloo. I prefer to shallow fry mine to reduce the number of calories. However, frying them can be done if you prefer.
- A traditional method of frying potatoes is to soak them in water before deep-frying. Soaking them really makes a huge difference on taste and texture. I skipped it to save time. The method is – 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt should be mixed well. Peel and cut the potatoes and immerse them in water for about 10 minutes. Before shallow or deep frying the potatoes, remove them from the water and pat them dry.
- Take cashews and soak them in warm water for about ten minutes. Then discard the water and puree the cashews with tomatoes to create a creamy texture.
- Using normal potatoes cut in medium wedges will take less time and effort, so substitute the small potatoes. Reduce the cooking time from 0 to 2 minutes.
- Oil may be substituted for ghee by non-vegans for a much deeper taste and flavor.
- Almost any plant-based yogurt or dairy-free yogurt can be used as an alternative to dairy yogurt, making this dish extra creamy. Cashew paste can also be used instead of fresh cream.
- You need to make sure the yogurt isn’t sour before preparing. If it is sour, then you can’t expect the curry to taste good.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Instant-Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 280Kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 82mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: Instant pot aloo dum, Instant pot recipes, aloo dum