Shahi Chicken Moti Biryani in white mild spicy gravy with roasted potatoes and boiled egg. Then we make chicken moti balls with chicken mince and cook them in white mild spicy gravy with potatoes roasted in ghee. Moti means pearl in Hindi so as these chicken balls look like pearls we have given them the name Moti.
For potatoes :
- 7 – Potato cut in halves
- 1 tsp – Salt
- 1 tsp – Ghee
- 1/2 tsp – Biryani masala
- 3 cup – Water
For Rice :
- 4 cups – Basmati rice
- 1 tbsp – Shahi Jeera
- 1 – Black cardamon
- 1 – Javitri/Mace
- 1 – Cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp – Salt
- 2 – Bay leaf
- 8 cups – Water
For Barista :
- 3 – Onion medium sliced
- Oil for frying
For Gravy :
- 1/2 cup – Cashew
- 2 tbsp – Poppy seeds
- 4 – Onion medium sliced
- 1 tbsp – Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp – Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp – Coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp – Roasted cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 – Lemon juice
- 6 tbsp – Fresh cream
- 1 tbsp – Garam masala powder
- Oil for frying
- 10 – Black peppercorns
- 5 – Cloves
- 4 – Cardamom
- 1 tbsp – Shahi Jeera
- 2 – Bay leaves
- 6 tbsp – Plain yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Black pepper powder
- 4 tbsp – Fresh cream
- 1 tbsp – Rosewater
- 1 tbsp – Kewda water
- 3 tbsp – Ghee
- Add water, potatoes, salt, ghee, and biryani masala in a pressure cooker. Mix well. Give 2 whistles. Just half cook the potatoes and do not overboil them.
- After all the steam has evaporated, carefully open the lid and take out the potatoes and place them aside.
- In a heavy pan, boil water and add spices such as shahi jeera, black cardamon, javitri/mace, salt to taste, bay leaf, and mix. Cook until 90% of the rice is cooked (If fully cooked, it could break at the time of assembling).
- Turn the gas off and drain the water. Remove the rice from the pan and let it cool. Keep it aside for later.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the potatoes until their golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan, fry three slices of onion to make some Barista. Stir constantly to get evenly fried golden Barista.
- Remove and keep aside. If possible spread on a plate for best results.
- Put 4 tbsp oil in another pan. Add onion slices. Saute for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- You can add the cashews to it and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Cook over medium flame for more than three minutes with poppy seeds.
- Turn off-gas when onion becomes translucent, not brown. Let it cool, then blend.
- Now, place the coriander, mint, and 10 green chilies into a blender and grind into a coarse paste. Set aside.
- Blend the cooked onion, cashew, and poppy seed mixture in a blender. You don’t need to add the green chilies but you can if you want it spicy. Keep it aside.
- Now combine minced chicken in a large bowl with coriander, mint leaves, ginger paste, garlic paste, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, salt to taste, lemon juice, garam masala powder, and fresh cream. Mix well with dampened hands and serve.
- Keep it covered in the fridge overnight for best results. (Note – You can add two tablespoons of cornflour and mix in a hurry, then cover and let sit for two hours)
- Heat three large spoonfuls of oil in a pan and then add cloves, cardamom, shahi Jeera, and bay leaves. Sauté for one minute on medium heat.
- Make the onion paste now. Saute it for 2 minutes. Pour water into the blender and blend everything together. I am not wasting anything. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Mix well. Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame. Add plain yogurt.
- Mix well with black pepper powder and salt. Cook until oil separates from the masala. Once ready, gravy for biryani is ready. Keep aside.
- Now grease your hands with oil and scoop a handful of the chicken mixture, and then shape it into a round shape like a moti kebab shape. Continue to prepare all the moti kebabs this way.
- Add 4 tbsp oil to a medium pan and place it on a medium flame until it smokes and add few moti kebabs at a time. Cook until they are golden brown and evenly cooked from all sides.
- Moti kebabs should be fried evenly on all sides before taking them out onto a plate.
- Put a medium-heat heavy-bottom pan on the stove and add gravy masala. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add fresh cream and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add water and mix well. Cook all the fried moti kebabs for five minutes. This helps the moti kebabs to absorb the masalas. Take them out and keep them aside. They can remain in the pan from earlier cooking.
- First spread the rice, then the moti kebab gravy masala, the barista, and repeat the process again and add the potatoes, egg, and then the remaining fried potatoes and eggs.
- Sprinkle biryani masala over the rice. Then Sprinkle rose water and kewda water, chopped coriander, mint leaves, and drizzle 1 tbsp ghee.
- Cook on lowest heat under a cover for 20 minutes.
- Open the lid after 20 minutes and take out the biryani bowl.
- Take out in a bowl and apply silver or gold leaf if you have but it’s optional.
- Serve hot along with raita and salad.
- You will get nice fluffy, flavorful biryani when you use aged long grain rice.
- To get the best flavor, I recommend marinating the chicken mince overnight in the fridge.
- You should use a heavy-bottom pot, and make sure that its lid is tightly secured, because a light-bottomed pot may burn biryani. A dutch oven works well for biryani.
- To make sure that the rice doesn’t break while it is cooking, don’t stir it too much. Doing so will result in a bad looking biryani.
- To guarantee that the rice is cooked perfectly, do not stir the grains of rice too much while they are cooking. If you do, biryani will not look good.
- I suggest marinating the chicken mince in spices for at least 2 hours or overnight. This makes the meat tender, tasty, and juicy.
- If you’re pressed for time, stir in 2- 3 tablespoons of cornflour to the chicken mince mixture, and let it sit at room temperature for two hours so the chicken mince kebabs hold their shape.
- Greasing your hands before shaping the moti kebabs with oil will prevent them from getting sticky and keep their shape.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian,World
- Serving Size: 4 people
- Calories: 502 Kcal
Keywords: Biryani, chicken biryani