Savory French Toast | Pudla Sandwich | French toast breakfast is a famous street food delicacy in Mumbai. It is a sandwich recipe made of cheese and veggies, served with chutney and sauce.
Those who like vegan & vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Those of you who have been reading our blog for some time already know that we make videos for each recipe on our YouTube channel.
Indian-style French toast with a savory twist. Several moons ago, I worked in Mumbai, and this recipe was inspired by the canteen there.
This easy savory French toast, or masala French toast, used to be a hot favorite as people always ordered food to keep their creativity flowing.
It is really funny to see two worlds combined in one dish if the recipe name is called French Masala since it is so different from each other 😀
Some other paneer recipes you will like on my blog – Cream Cheese Bombay Sandwich | Vegan Grilled Sandwich, Cucumber Lime Agua Fresca | Summer Special Juice, Paneer Tikka Kachumber Salad, Vegan Thai Salad With Peanut Dressing Recipe.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
A perfect vegan Indian recipe for breakfast/snack is this savory French Toast (without eggs) or Pudla Sandwich. This dish is filling, nutritious, and bursting with flavor. In just 30 minutes, prepare this delicious vegan snack recipe.
We changed up the classic sweet French toast recipe with savory herbs. The recipe for this Indian breakfast recipe with bread is one of the most delicious you will ever try. This recipe for eggless savory French toast just requires few ingredients unless you are a veggie fan like me so I love to add lots of it.
One of Mumbai’s most famous street food delicacies is the Jhaveri Bazaar’s Street Food. Today, we’ll try one of their famous street foods. French toast is an old favorite with a twist, and this Indian-inspired version elevates it to an entirely new level of deliciousness.
Sandwiches with cheese stuffed in them are delicious with green chutney and tomato sauce. To make the pudla taste amazing, the recipe uses butter but I used a light oil depends on your choice.
Growing up in India, I ate this savory breakfast called Savory Bombay Toast which is popular in Dhabas during my college days. It was always a pleasure to spend hours chatting with my friends at the small eateries with my friends.
We would sit in the dhabas while the rain made the most melodious sounds, and we would enjoy hot masala french toasts and ginger chai whirl around the dhaba. Those were the days…
About Savory French Toast | Pudla Sandwich | French toast breakfast recipes
Gujarati Pudla or Poodla means savory pancakes made of chickpeas or besan flour. We eat it as an evening snack as well as a popular Indian vegan breakfast recipe.
French toast is made by soaking bread in a milk and egg mixture, followed by frying it with oil or butter. Additionally, vanilla and sugar make it taste mostly sweet. The recipe for this snack is a leaner, healthier, and vegan variation.
In this dish, garbanzo flour batter is used to coat slices of bread which are then topped with veggies and cheese. It’s an Indian snack recipe that’s highly flavorful and filling written by a vegan called Pudla Sandwich. Its flavor is authentically Indian thanks to the hint of spices.
- This is a nutritious and healthy meal
- Suitable for snacking or breakfast
- There is less oil in it and it is vegan. Without eggs, it’s French Toast!
- Vegetables sneaked in without anyone noticing.
- After you’ve done all the prep work, this recipe is quick and easy to make.
- 1/2 cup – Beetroot grated
- 1/2 cup – Capsicum/ bell peppers grated
- 1/2 cup – Carrot grated
- 1/2 cup – Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup – Frozen corns
- 1/2 cup – Cabbage shredded
- 1 1/2 cup – Besan/ Chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp – Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp – Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Ajwain
- Bread – 8 piece
- Cheese as required
- Oil as required
- Water as required
- Chaat masala to sprinkle as required
Vegetable – The vegetables I used here were onions, bell peppers, corns, carrots, cabbage shredded, and beetroots. However, you can skip or add veggies to your taste.
Besan/ Chickpea flour – The main ingredient in this recipe is besan or garbanzo flour. As we will not be using eggs in this recipe, this flour is a great substitute.
spices – This recipe features spices such as ajwain/carom seeds, chaat masala, turmeric powder, garam masala, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder to give it a truly authentic taste.
Oil/ butter – You can fry them in oil or butter whatever you like.
Bread – Though white bread is the best choice, you can use any bread variety you like.
Cheese – Use any cheese you like or vegan cheese if you are vegan. Meltable cheese can be used!
Check out the Savory French Toast | Pudla Sandwich | French toast breakfast Recipe :
How To Make Savory French Toast | Pudla Sandwich | French toast breakfast Step By Step With Photo:
- In a bowl, add cabbage shredded, capsicum grated, carrot grated, beetroot grated, onion chopped, frozen corns. Mix everything together.
- In a bowl, add besan now add some spices to the besan. Add ajwain, red chilly powder, salt, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Mix the dry ingredients. Once a paste is formed, add water to make it smooth.
- In a frying pan, add some oil. Bread slices should be dipped in besan batter. Add bread slices to the frying pan. Fry both sides.
- Top the bread slice with veggies, sprinkle some chaat masala powder, and red chilly powder.
- Drizzle some besan batter on the top. Flip the bread and press. Cook both sides.
- Flip again and add grated cheese on the top. Assemble the bread.
- Our Podla sandwich is ready.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- For this recipe, you should use firm bread.
- Make sure the bread slices are kept at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator if the bread is softer.
- Instead of water, yogurt or buttermilk can also be used when making the batter for Bread Pakora Sandwiches. You’ll get a great flavor from it.
- The coating will take on a crispy texture when cooked if you add 1-2 tablespoons of rice flour and semolina (Rava).
- For 4-5 days, the batter and vegetable mixture can be stored in the fridge.
- Vegetables can be added/omitted according to availability. The veggies should be finely chopped or grated.
- This sandwich flipping requires little practice. Flipping the mixture is okay even if it spills. Over the bread, you can put it again.
- Additionally, if you eat eggs, you can make this same recipe by simply swapping out the batter with eggs. Follow the recipe by dipping the bread in eggs.
The number of creations is unlimited. You can serve them with some green chutney and/or tomato ketchup after they have been cut in half or triangles. Tea or coffee go perfectly with it.
Fries or chips can be ordered on the side with your sandwich if you so desire. Pudla Sandwiches/Savory French Toast could be served as breakfast, an evening snack, at a party, get-together, packed in lunch boxes, as an event menu item, and/or for any occasion.
It is always a good idea to serve Sandwiches hot since they remain crisp when served that way. Keeping them too long will make them soggy and mushy.
Preparing the vegetable mixture in advance and storing it in the fridge is also an option. It’s just a matter of assembling the sandwich and toasting it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I choose the right bread?
Fresh bread should not be used. Pudla Sandwiches are best made with thick white bread without large pores. Other bread varieties can also be used. In addition to lightly toasting the bread before dipping it in the batter, you can also drizzle some olive oil on the batter.
Are you looking for a breadless version?
Bread is not necessary. Thick pancakes made from the batter can be stuffed with vegetables and cheese, cut, and served. The vegetables can also be mixed into the batter and pancakes can be made! It is possible that you will need to add more flour or water to the batter.Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.