Quick & Easy Grilled Hummus Sandwich With Caramelized Onions – An easy and tasty vegan sandwich made of grilled hummus, caramelized onions, and peppers which get ready within 30 minutes. This warm sandwich is perfect for everyone!
Those who like vegan & vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Those of you who have been reading our blog for some time already know that we make videos for each recipe on our YouTube channel.
You may also like some other drinks recipes on my blog – Chickpea hummus, Cream Cheese Bombay Sandwich | Vegan Grilled Sandwich, Chili Cheese Toast – Air Fryer Spicy Cheese Toast, Spinach Corn Sandwich Recipe, Foccacia Recipe (Whole Wheat) – Tomato & Olive.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
With sauteed onions and hummus, this sandwich is sure to please those who love caramelized onions. Sandwiches have been my favorite recently.
After all the soups I’ve eaten, it is nice to have something different.
A grilled hummus sandwich was the perfect marriage of caramelized onions.
I’m sure you guessed that it didn’t disappoint!
We’ll get right into it now, so let’s get started!
When you use homemade or prepared hummus these sandwiches come together quickly. You can also buy from stores too to save time, There are so many different kinds of bread to choose from, whole grain, whole wheat, or gluten-free options all work well here.
You can also add caramelized onions for a little extra flavor. The recipe is dairy-free (if using gluten-free bread), vegetarian, and vegan, as written.
The recipe card notes describe how to caramelize onions, but I decided to create something a little faster for you and sautéed the onions until golden around the edges.
Served warm and juicy, this sandwich is rich in flavor and will melt in your mouth. The little messiness of eating it doesn’t bother me at all. The onion breath that follows is totally worth it!
Make caramelized onions ahead of time and you’ll have an easy-to-make grilled cheese sandwich with caramelized onions. Prepare a batch and store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Here is everything you’ll need:
- 6 – Whole wheat / White bread
- 3 cup – Onion roughly chopped
- 1 cup – Hummus (See recipe here)
- 1 cup – Red and green bell pepper rings
- Vegan butter/ Plain butter
- 1 tsp – Black pepper powder
- 1 tsp – Oregano
- 2 tbsp – Olive oil
- 1/2 cup – Vegan cream cheese/ Plain cheese
- Salt to taste
Bread – Bread slices will be needed for this sandwich. White milk bread is best for achieving the best results. Bread in any form will have the same texture whether it is wheat bread or multigrain bread.
Onion – Caramelized onion recipes vary from household to household. I prefer cutting them into thin slices instead of chopping them. Thus, they end up looking nice.
Hummus – This dip is made with chickpeas as its base. There are other types of beans you can use too, such as black-eyed peas, edamame, white beans, and lentils. You can absolutely use canned chickpeas if you want – I soak my chickpeas and boil them to make this recipe. You can use them by just rinsing them well. See the recipe on my blog here for hummus.
Vegetables – You can use red, green, and yellow bell peppers or you can use your choice of sliced vegetables which gives extra crunchy flavors.
Seasonings – It uses Black pepper powder, oregano, and salt to taste. The quantity of salt and black pepper powder should be adjusted according to your taste.
Olive Oil – Make sure to use the best quality olive oil for this dip. To this dish, it adds a distinctive taste.
Cream cheese – In addition, you can buy good quality imported cream cheese from Foodhall or Nature’s Basket.
Trader Joe’s, Gina Marie, Challenge original, Organic Valley, Philadelphia cheese, and many other brands are available outside of India. You can also use vegan cream cheese if you are vegan
Butter – There’s nothing better than buttery, creamy sandwiches! Choose high-quality butter if you want the sauce to taste great.
Check out the Quick & Easy Grilled Hummus Sandwich With Caramelized Onions Recipe :
How To Make Quick & Easy Grilled Hummus Sandwich With Caramelized Onions Recipe Step By Step With Photo:
- On low- medium heat, take a pan, add some olive oil, onions roughly chopped. Add salt to soften the onions. Sautee the onions for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add black pepper powder, oregano. Mix everything nicely. Take it out and keep it aside.
- Take a grill pan, add olive oil. With the help of the brush grease olive oil on the grill pan. Now fry both the sides of the bell pepper rings so they are a bit soft. Take them out and keep them aside.
- Take a bread slice to apply vegan butter or plain butter. Flip the bread apply hummus. Add fried onions and bell pepper rings on top of hummus.
- Take another bread slice to apply butter. Flip the butter side bread and apply vegan cream cheese or plain cream cheese. Now put the cream cheese side on the stuffing so that the butter side will be facing the top.
- On medium heat, place the butter side sandwich on the grill pan. Flip and grill the other side of the sandwich too.
- Flip and fry on the other side too. Then take it out.
- The sandwich is ready to be served.
Can we make this in an Air fryer?
We can certainly do that. You can brush the bread with butter mixed with chopped parsley or coriander leaves and red chili flakes. Brush the top of the sandwich with the mixture.
The sandwich should be fried for five to ten minutes in the air fryer after it has been assembled. It may vary depending on your Air Fryer, but mine went from start to finish within around six minutes, without needing to be flipped.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- Hummus of your choice is fine. Make homemade white bean hummus or classic hummus with store-bought ingredients. It would also be great to have flavored hummus!
- Don’t forget to caramelize the onions. Cook the onions over low heat, constantly stirring, for 30 minutes, until soft, tender, and golden.
- Fresh from the griddle, this sandwich is best. Despite its short shelf life, it’s better eaten right away.
Adding protein powder to a vanilla or chocolate shake would be a great pairing. Or perhaps you should try some great Smoothie of your choice with this sandwich.
All of the above will ensure your nutritional needs are met, rounding out your meal perfectly. You made some great decisions, so congratulate yourself!
You can serve this dish with a bowl of Vegan Soup or any soup of your choice. Pair this with a side salad such as this paneer tikka kachumber salad.
In a covered container, leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 5 – 6 days.
This recipe is great for meal prep when prepared using any of the suggestions below, and it can be served in serving-size portions in multi-use containers for grab-and-go meals or snacks.Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.