A Paneer Tikka Grilled Sandwich | Tandoori Paneer Sandwich is as sinful as they come. Fusion dishes like this are great for adding variety to any meal. But your simple sandwich can be transformed into something truly special with just a little extra effort. Quite a few of you will likely agree with me here. Every day, I also eat fairly simple sandwiches.
This is smokey paneer tikka filling with spicy paneer, bell peppers, and onions in these Paneer tikka grilled sandwiches! Using charcoal, this grilled cheese has a smoky flavor that’s infused with spice. It’s a good brunch option for the weekend.
Those who like vegan & vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Those of you who have been reading our blog for some time already know that we make videos for each recipe on our YouTube channel.
Some other Paneer recipes you would like on my blog – Palak paneer paratha (Spinach Cottage Cheese Paratha), Tandoori Paneer Samosa (Best Samosa Recipe), Paneer Capsicum In Tomato Gravy.
I had some leftovers from Paneer Tikka Masala Restaurant Style (Read the recipe) from which I made this delicious paneer tikka grilled sandwich.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
When it comes to our weekend brunch or special occasions, I occasionally upgrade the sandwich. It led to this Paneer tikka grilled sandwich last time!
After being marinated with Tandoor masala, this sandwich is made with paneer, onions, and peppers, which are then grilled and smoked with charcoal to give it a smoky flavor.
The fantastic quality of paneer aka Indian cottage cheese is that you can make all sorts of delicious dishes with it. No matter what flavor you want to add to it, it will go so well with it.
About Paneer Tikka Grilled Sandwich Recipe
Spices such as tandoori masala, Kashmiri red chili powder, and garam masala give the paneer a delicious flavor in this recipe. A special spice blend found in Indian grocery stores is tandoori masala.
A pan is used to grill the paneer and veggies after they are marinated with yogurt and spices. Additionally, the paneer is infused with smoky flavor to heighten the savory flavors.
The flavors here are rich- from the spices, then from smoking the paneer, to the dry gravy and the cheese. Everything is sandwiched between that well-toasted crusty bread. Everything about this is perfect!
With the dhungar method, I gave the paneer and the veggies a smoky flavor. Take the cooked paneer and veggies and place them into a large bowl or pan and then place a small steel bowl in the center of that large bowl. After that, heat up a charcoal (be sure not to use self-igniting charcoal). With tongs, heat it up on direct heat until it’s red hot.
Put the hot charcoal into the steel bowl carefully, using the tongs. Add ghee to the hot charcoal and drizzle it on top. Immediately cover that bowl/pan with a lid when you see fumes coming from it. For four to five minutes, allow it to remain that way. By doing so, the paneer and vegetables will acquire a smoky flavor.
It’s good to keep it for three to four minutes, but don’t leave it too long because it will get too smoky. After that cut the cooked and smoked paneer and vegetables into small pieces and then fill it in bread if you want to add mayonnaise or cheese of your liking you can spread it on top.
After that heat a grill pan and add some butter and grill the sandwich till they get that crusty look. Here delicious paneer tikka grilled sandwich is ready.
For paneer marination:
- 1 – Green bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1 – Red bell pepper cut into cubes optional
- 1 – Medium onion cut into cubes
- 600 gms – paneer cut into cubes
- 5 tbsp – thick yogurt
- 2 tsp – ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp – Chickpea flour or besan
- 1 tsp – Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp – salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp – lime juice
- 1 tbsp – Kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp – garam masala spice mix
- 2 tsp – mustard oil
For the gravy:
- 2 tbsp – vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp – ghee
- 2to3 – cloves
- 5to6 – whole black peppercorns
- 2 – whole black cardamom
- 1-inch – whole cinnamon stick
- 1 cup – grated onion
- 2 tsp – ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup – grated tomato
- 1/4 cup – tomato puree (or 2 tablespoon tomato paste)
- 2 tsp – Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp – turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp – cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp – garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp – coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – honey
- 1/4 cup – heavy cream
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 4 piece – Bread
- Charcoal piece for dungar if you need a smoky flavor (optional)
- oil or butter for frying or toasting
Bread – For this recipe, you should use either white bread or sourdough. The shape of these slices of bread holds better after being toasted. Toasting them makes them quite crispy as well. You can toast them in an air fryer too the outcome is so crispy. It would also be acceptable to use regular white bread, but sourdough or rustic are preferred.
Paneer Tikka Masala – This sandwich is filled with paneer, onions, green peppers, which are marinated with yogurt and tandoori masala, then grilled.
Oil or butter – Toast the sandwich with oil or butter your choice they enhance so much tasty flavor in the sandwich.
How To Make Paneer Tikka Grilled Sandwich Step By Step With Photo:
- To begin, make thick yogurt. After 30 minutes, drip down the 14% plain yogurt liquid through a fine-mesh strainer. You can get two tablespoons of thick yogurt from it. You can use Greek yogurt to accelerate the process. Combine thick yogurt, ginger garlic paste, lime juice, chickpea flour, spice mix for Kasuri methi garam masala, and mustard oil in a large bowl. Mix well all ingredients.
- Using a kitchen towel, dry a 600 g block of paneer after cleaning it with water. You can make cubes of paneer with squares of 2 inches. The peel from one large onion should be removed and the onion should be cut into cubes of 2 inches. You should also wash and cut the green bell pepper and red bell pepper into 2-inch cubes. All the paneer cubes, green pepper cubes, and onion cubes should be covered in the marinade after gently mixing everything. Be sure to cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Refrigerate for one hour and then take it out.
- Using 2 tbsp vegetable oil and 2 tbsp ghee, heat a large skillet over medium heat. I like to combine oil and ghee because ghee is delicious and not too heavy. You can either use oil or ghee. Grasp the wide pan (the grill pan works well) and place the paneer cubes, onions, and capsicum on it. Combine paneer and vegetables in one layer. The paneer and veggies need to be browned and slightly charred on all sides. Once you’re done, take it out and set it aside. Note: You can now cut them in pieces and mix with mayo or cheese and stuff this in the bread and then toast your sandwich will be ready. But let’s move on to make the gravy masala.
- In the same pan, heat up the oil and ghee again. You can either use oil or ghee. Add a cinnamon stick and whole black cardamoms after the oil has gotten hot. During this period, stir the mixture occasionally. On medium heat, fry the onions until they are slightly browned. Stirring regularly is important. The entire process takes between 6 and 8 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste once onions are translucent. To prevent the onions from burning on the bottom of the pan, add a splash of water. The onion needs to be fried for at least 8 minutes to achieve the right consistency. Add pureed or pasted tomatoes after the onions become translucent. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. In case tomato puree isn’t available, you can use tomato paste instead.
- Add a variety of spices to taste, including Kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder.
- You can now add heavy cream and the leftover paneer marination paste to this.
- Combine the vegetables and half a cup of water in a skillet. After 3-4 minutes, the oil will separate from the pan sides. The stuffing is ready.
- Come on, let’s assemble the sandwiches. Using 2 slices of white bread, we will create 2 sandwiches for this recipe Butter both slices with soft butter. For a sandwich, it is always better to use soft butter as opposed to melted butter.
- You can apply some mayonnaise or green chutney if you like on one slice of the bread.
- This slice should now be filled with Paneer. The layer can be leveled and made even by gently pressing. Next, cover the first slice with the second. In a similar fashion, we will prepare and grill other sandwiches together. Spread some butter on top.
- On a high setting, heat the grill pan. Making sandwiches is easy even if you do not have a grill pan. Smear some butter on the Tawa or grill pan and heat it. You can now place a sandwich on the Pan. On medium-low heat, grill for 2 minutes.
- Apply butter to the top after 2 minutes. Don’t forget to grease the pan with butter as well. Turn the top and grill the underside after grilling the underside. Make grill marks on the slices by gently pressing with a spatula. Continue to cook the sandwich for another 2 minutes, then remove it from the pan.
- The rest of the sandwiches should be similarly grilled. It is time to serve the sandwiches. You can cut this into squares or triangles
Here are some tangy and spicy Paneer Tikka Sandwiches.
- It can be packed in aluminum foil and given to your kids in their lunch boxes. It’s my favorite snack to have with a cup of coffee in the evening.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- Paneer made at home tends to crumble when grilled since it is soft. The best paneer to use for this recipe is store-bought.
- The leftover marinade should be reserved. It will be used later to make gravy.
- During grilling, if using bamboo skewers they should be immersed in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Use white or brown or multigrain bread of your choice.
- As soon as the paneer and veggies are done grilling, remove them from the skewers and keep them aside. Use a fork to scrape the paneer, onion, and capsicum cubes off the skewers.
- If you use store-bought paneer, pat the block dry with a kitchen towel. In warm water, soak it for five minutes when it is soft.
- The paneer will absorb the flavor better if it is marinated for at least two hours or even longer.
- By substituting Kashmiri red chili powder for regular chili powder, the gravy gets a nice, rich color without being too spicy.
Do not leave sandwiches out after they have been made for more than four hours. It can stay longer than one hour before becoming soggy when it gets colder.
Due to this, if you want to serve the sandwich crisp, serve it right after it has been grilled on the Tawa. If not, it may get soggy. You should eat it as soon as possible after making it.
If you keep them in the fridge then take them out and at 300 degrees F air fry them for 5 minutes or in the oven at the same temperature same time. If on Tawa then toast on a low medium flame for 2 minutes and take them out.
Frequently Asked Questions
The sandwich can I make in advance?
Preparing the filling in advance is possible.. Refrigerated paneer filling will harden, so sprinkle some water over it and microwave it to soften it up before using it in the sandwich.
When reheating a sandwich, what should I do?
Air fryers are perfect for re-heating leftover sandwiches. A 300 F degree air fryer for a duration of 10 to 15 minutes or a 350 F degree oven for the same amount of time.
Charcoal of what type is used for the Dhungar method?
This charcoal can be found in the BBQ/Grilling section of your local grocery store. Just make sure it doesn’t self-ignite.
How to make the flavor smoky?
In comparison to a recipe prepared at home, dhabas or restaurants serve smoky-flavored paneer tikka masala. In Indian restaurants, paneer is grilled in clay ovens or tandoor ovens, which gives it a smoky flavor. You don’t need to worry, though. It’s possible to make a smokey curry even at home. Dhungar is the term used in India for this process.
In addition, you can boil a whole cinnamon stick (or a chunk of charcoal) on your stovetop until it is red hot. Using an oven in the absence of direct heat is also an option. Keep this piece of charcoal in a bowl over the curry once it is ready. You should pour one teaspoon of ghee over the charcoal and close the lid as soon as it has cooled.
Smoke the curry for 10 to 12 minutes so that it can absorb it. Cover the bowl again and stir the curry into a smooth mixture. The curry acquires a distinct tandoori smoky flavor.Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.