Maru bhajiya’s are just ordinary bhajiya’s are not baked, but cooked with thinly sliced potato rounds, which are covered with batter and deep-fried. Insanely delicious and you cannot stop at one.
For the bhajia:
- 400g – unpeeled potatoes, sliced thinly (I used a mandolin)
- 150g – chickpea flour
- 60g – rice flour
- 1/2 tsp – cornflour
- 3 tbsp – lemon juice
- 1 tsp – salt
- 6 to 8 – green chilies (or to taste), pounded into a paste
- 4 – large cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 tbsp – Fresh coriander, chopped very finely
- 1/2 tsp – Carom seeds
- 1 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp – Sugar
- Oil to deep fry
For the cucumber chutney:
- 1 big – cucumber cubes
- 1 big – fresh tomatoes cubes
- 1 big – carrot cubes
- 1 – clove garlic
- 8 to 10 tbsp fresh coriander
- 4 – green chilies (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp – lemons juice
- 200ml – water
- 1 tbsp – sugar
- 2 tsp – salt
- Add ice cubes to the water and mix. Add sliced potatoes to the water.
- Mix up the rest of the ingredients for the bhajiya in a bowl. This different blending of flour will give this bhaji a beautiful crispy appearance.
- After draining the potatoes, do not let them dry. Immediately add the potatoes into the flour mixture. The mixture should stick well to all potato slices. Allow it to rest while you make the cucumber chutney. (Recipe of chutney mentioned above).
- Heat the oil in a pan and slowly add the potato slices. Let become golden on all sides. Remove using a slotted spoon and dry on a kitchen tissue.
- If you want the best crunch, serve with cucumber chutney right away.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.[equipments]
- You can fry normal potatoes by cutting them into thick slices.
- I will recommend frying the potatoes two times first on low heat, then the second time on high heat.
- For extra crunch, use cornflour and rice flour.
- The potatoes should be fried the second time using high heat, ensuring that all the moisture from the first frying has evaporated before putting them into the oil.
- Prepare the tangy chutney beforehand so that as soon as you fry the potatoes they can be served with it.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Gujrati, Indian
- Serving Size: 3
- Calories: 195
Keywords: Pakoda, maru bhaijya