Golden-hued and beautiful, Lemon Rice is a 30-minute vegetarian dish made with basmati rice and spiced with peanuts and lemon. This one-pot meal is made with simple vegetables and spices along with peanuts.
- 2 cup – Basmati rice
- 2 tbsp – Urad dal
- 2 tbsp – Chana dal
- 3 tbsp – Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp – Peanut
- 2 tbsp – Cashew
- 3 to 4 – Green chilies (slit)
- 10 to 12 – Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp – Refined oil/ sesame oil/ coconut oil
- 1 tsp – Hing
- 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp – Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice thoroughly in water. Soak rice for 30 minutes and then drain excess water.
- Turn on saute mode for 30 minutes. Wait till hot mode gets started.
- Pour sesame oil. Add soaked and drained urad dal. Add soaked chana dal. Keep stirring. Add mustard seeds, hing/ asafoetida, and mix.
- Add grated ginger. Saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Add peanuts, cashew, curry leaves, green chilies slit, turmeric powder.
- Add soaked basmati rice. Give it a nice mix.
- Add water, salt, lemon juice. Stir well. Close the lid.
- You must click on the CANCEL button, then close the lid of the Instant Pot and set the valve in the sealing position.
- Turn on the pressure cook button. Pressure cook for 6 minutes.
- Once done press cancel. After 10 minutes turn the valve to venting for natural release.
- Let the pressure release completely and the red plug goes down.
- Open the lid. Serve in a bowl.
- This dish must be cooked with short-grain rice. Although there’s no official recipe for this dish, it traditionally is prepared with sona masuri rice.
- The amount of chili and lemon juice in the recipe can be adjusted based on your taste.
- These rice are good in the refrigerator for three to four days.
- You can pack this recipe in your lunch box.
- Additionally, to adding flavor to the rice, you can also add a tsp of ghee. It will improve its flavor. However, if you’re vegan, feel free to skip that step.
- This rice can be further enhanced with vegetables such as carrots, beans, etc.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Instant-Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 4 people
- Calories: 250 Kcal
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 81mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Lemon rice in instant pot, Instant pot lemon rice, lemon rice