Homemade Chicken Popcorn this chicken is fried in a pan over medium heat, coated with flour, and fried until golden brown and crispy. It’s crispy, delicious, and a favorite of numerous people. I’m sure I’ve been overindulged from this delectable deal I find so irresistible. Bite-size pieces of chicken coated and fried, a dish originally developed by KFC.
Those who like vegan & vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Those of you who have been reading our blog for some time already know that we make videos for each recipe on our YouTube channel.
You would be surprised how simple homemade popcorn chicken is, and better still, you only need a few ingredients. I love to make this chicken for dinner, but it also tastes great with KFC Rizo Rice, therefore it is a fantastic addition. I have discovered the secret spice mix which KFC uses to rub over this fried chicken and I will share that too here in my blog.
About This Recipe
Homemade Chicken Popcorn is deep-fried and coated with flour ( some use corn flakes but here I haven’t used any corn flakes ). You can make the same KFC-style crust with just All-Purpose Flour. I will tell the secret later in the recipe.
These are deep-fried in oil until they are golden brown from the outside. You can serve them with your choice of dips or sauce.
If you have time, I suggest marinating the chicken in buttermilk – it helps to nourish the chicken and make it flaky and delicious. I like to give this recipe a kick, then add a bit of spice.
Chicken – This is the star element of this dish. Ensure the chicken pieces for popcorn are boneless small pieces.
For Marination – For this, we will require Ginger garlic paste, onion powder, mixed herbs, red chilly powder, soy sauce, red chilly sauce, milk, and salt to taste. These ingredients are easily all-time available in your kitchen.
The Coating – For this, we will be requiring All-purpose flour, chilly powder, and oil for frying. This blend will make the external layer of the popcorn crunchy and fresh.
Oil – You can utilize any vegetable refine oil of your choice.
Chilled water – Here in this recipe we will be requiring chilled water to make this coating even crispier. So make sure you have chill water in your fridge before the preparation.
Check Out Homemade Chicken Popcorn Video Recipe:
Important Suggestions To Keep In Mind :
- So I usually do not marinate it in buttermilk for more than 12 hours, but even if it’s longer, it does not hurt. When the pieces are rather small, it helps in evenly frying.
- If you do not have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute it with a combination of milk, flour, sugar, and a bit of salt and pepper. Ensure to coat them with half the flour prior to making them stick.
- Chicken pieces are the star element of this dish. Ensure the chicken pieces for popcorn are boneless small pieces.
- Oil should be heated in medium to high flame for frying.
- For the second coating, soaking in cold water for 3 seconds is a must. It makes the coating really crispy after frying.
How to make homemade chicken popcorn step by step with photo:
1. I have taken 300 gms boneless chicken. Tenderize the chicken using a meat mallet and cut it into small cubes.
2. Take a bowl, add buttermilk to it and add 1 tsp salt. Whisk to combine.
3. Add chicken to the buttermilk and mix well. Keep aside for 1 hour.
4. Drain the chicken after 1 hour in a bowl. Marinate the chicken with ginger-garlic glue, onion powder, blended spices, red crisp powder, dark pepper powder, Salt to taste, soy sauce, vinegar, red nippy sauce, milk. Soy sauce contains salt and since we recently added salt, be cautious with it. Marinate for the time being or possibly for 6 hours.
5. Secret Spice Mix Recipe: In a mixing bowl add onion powder, garlic powder, Kashmiri red chilly powder or paprika powder, sugar powder, oregano powder. Mix well and the secret spice mix is ready. Keep aside.
6. Now take all-purpose flour in a bowl and add red chilly powder and mix. Now coat each chicken piece with this flour and take out on a plate. The first coating will be light.
7. Immediately sieve the flour to remove the Lumps in the flour. This process should be done in the second coating also to reduce the wastage of flour and also to get the perfect crust of the popcorn.
8. Now for the second coating – take chilled water and dip chicken pieces for 3 seconds and then again dip on flour. Rub the chicken in a clockwise direction and don’t let the chicken come in contact with your direct hands.
9. Coat well, dust the excess flour, make small batches and fry immediately. Otherwise, the crust can become soggy. Heat oil in a deep pan on medium flame and with the assistance of a frying basket fry 3 to 4 pieces of coated chicken at a time till they are golden brown. It will approximately take a couple of minutes.
10. Another alternative to frying is direct frying – if you don’t have a wire basket or in a little hurry then directly added some chicken pieces to the frying pan through the flour from the chicken starts accumulating at the bottom and the burned flour started to stick to the chicken pieces. So it’s best to use a frying basket. Finally, take them out on a wire rack so that if any excess oil drains out.
11. As soon as they are still hot sprinkle the secret spice mix on top of them.
12. Enjoy hot with mayonnaise or sauce of your choice.
Serve this delicious crispy chicken popcorn with the secret spice mix which we prepared along with tartar sauce or ketchup. Serve them hot and sprinkle the spice mix over it.
How long we should keep the chicken in spice marination?
The best will be to marinate the chicken pieces in spices for 4 to 6 hours.
Soaking time is very important for this recipe.
How to make Chicken Popcorn in Air Fryer?
In the event that you would prefer not to fry your Popcorn’s and make them sound and healthy. You can just air fry them. Simply make the chicken popcorn according to the formula given in step by step and keep it aside. Ensure the batter isn’t runny.
Presently, place an aluminum foil noticeable all around the air fryer and spread it with oil. Spot the popcorn’s on the foil and brush with some oil from the top.
Close the fryer and cook them for around 20 to 30 minutes at 200 F.
After that take out and serve hot and crispy.
Can you make Chicken Popcorn’s ahead of time?
You can’t make the Chicken Popcorn early, as they will lose their crunchiness and turns out to be delicate.
On the off chance that you are making it for a huge group, then what you can do is prepare the batter and then plunge the chicken pieces in that batter and then keep it in the fridge to chill. Prior to searing or deep-frying let the combination come to room temperature.
Another stunt is to broil the chicken pakora once. Do the second fricasseeing when prepared to serve. It will make your cycle speedy and you can have hot firm pakoras for the group instantly.Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.