This Hara Bhara Stuffed Kebab (Spinach Peas Stuffed Patties) contains spinach, peas, potatoes, and green peppers. Vegetarian, delicious, and full of greens!
Those who like Vegan & Vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Please join my Facebook page if you enjoy cooking vegetarian/vegan dishes – Pinch Of Flavours
At the end of this post is a recipe card and a disclosure of Amazon affiliate links.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
Known for its healthy and delicious combination of spinach, potatoes, peas, spices, and herbs, Hara Bhara Kabab is an extremely popular appetizer and snack. With a burst of Indian flavors, these vegan and gluten-free spinach potato patties are simply delicious! Hala bhara kababs are hearty, healthy vegetarian recipes that are sure to satisfy your palate.
Try serving them with a cup of Indian chai, green chutney, mint chutney, or your favorite dip. Here I bring you three simple methods for cooking these kababs – pan-fried, baked, and air fried.
About Hara Bhara Stuffed Kebab (Spinach Peas Stuffed Patties) Recipe
The Hara bharru Stuffed Kabab is a snack popular in North India made with a variety of vegetables and leafy greens, such as spinach, coriander, green peas, and potatoes. Known as hara bhara kababs, these kebabs are filled with greens. A vegetarian dish made with nutritious and healthy vegetables.
And to make it tastier a cheesy stuffing has been prepared. You can use plain cheese or vegan cheese.
North Indian restaurants serve Hara bhara kabab along with many other appetizers.
There are restaurants that serve the best hara bhara kabab, but not every restaurant does. It is also common to find them soggy, greasy, bland, and simply fried.
My simple recipe will allow you to make hara bhara kababs at home that is better than what you can get in many restaurants. As we are not frying them on fire or smoking them, the only thing you will miss is the smoky flavor.
It’s a quick and easy energy boost that even the fussiest kid will love.
How does this kebab get its green color? It is made with spinach, green peas, and coriander leaves. If I had it in my refrigerator the day I made these, I would have added green bell pepper, too (I love bell peppers!).
Vegetarian kebabs like these are popular in India, but they are usually deep-fried in restaurants. You must deep fry your kebabs if you are a fan of deep-fried food. Whenever I have to deep fry, I only do it when it’s absolutely necessary, otherwise, I just pan fry.
- 1/2 cup – Spinach leaves ( boiled)
- 1/2 cup – Beans (chopped)
- 1/2 cup – Green bell pepper (diced)
- 3 medium – Potatoes (mashed)
- 1/2 cup – Coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp – Red chilly powder
- 1 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp – Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp – Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp – Amchur powder
- Cashew for topping or decoration
- 1 tbsp – Cornflour
- 1 cup – Tofu or Paneer (grated)
- 1 cup – Vegan/plain mozzarella grated
- 1/2 cup – Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 cup – Frozen corns
- 1/2 cup – Red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp – Green chilly chopped
- 1 tbsp – Oregano
- 1 tsp – Red chilly flakes
Potato – Mashed and boiled potatoes
Spinach Leaves – Blanching and pureeing spinach leaves or palak leaves is an important element when making Hara Bhara Kabab. To get the same signature restaurant green color, blanch spinach leaves without boiling them, shock them in cold water, or freeze them to stop the cooking process.
Green peas – Fresh or frozen, depending on the season.
Minced Green Chilies and Ginger – To be mixed with spinach leaves
Gram flour/chickpea flour/ Panko bread crumbs –- Use gram flour, chickpea flour, or besan, which are naturally gluten-free. Once it has been roasted, add it to the spinach and potato mixture. Nevertheless, I used Panko bread crumbs and mixed them directly into the mixture.
Spices – I used turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, oregano, red chilly flakes, coriander powder, and amchur powder (mango powder).
Vegetables – Green bell peppers, black beans, and corn have been used for stuffing.
Paneer or Tofu – Vegans should choose extra firm tofu if they are vegetarian. Paneer can also be used if you are a vegetarian.
Cornflour – It helps in the binding so a small amount should be taken.
Cheese – Vegan cheese or plain mozzarella cheese can be added for topping vegetables
How to make Hara Bhara Stuffed Kebab (Spinach Peas Stuffed Patties) Recipe step by step with photo :
- Wash and clean spinach very well in water. Place the spinach in a colander and drain the water. You can use only the leaves of the spinach without using the stems. Drain and squeeze spinach after boiling it. Set aside. Switch off the flame once the water has boiled. Spinach leaves are best prepared by immersing them in hot water for two minutes at a minimum. This is called blanching. Once the leaves are done cooking, remove them with pasta tongs and rehydrate them in ice water for 1 minute. This preserves the spinach’s green color.
- Blend spinach leaves, diced bell pepper, beans, and salt to taste with boiled spinach.
- Make a smooth green paste by blending it.
- For dough – In a bowl, combine the green spinach paste, mashed boiled potatoes, grated Paneer, red chilly powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, amchur powder, chopped coriander leaves, panko breadcrumbs, cornflour, and oil.
- Mash and mix everything nicely.
- For the filling: Grate mozzarella cheese, diced red bell pepper, coriander leaves finely chopped, a little salt, green chilly chopped, frozen corn, oregano, and a few red chili flakes in a bowl. Combine well. Spinach paste and cashews are also ready.
- Form each patty into a round ball the size of a lemon in your hand. Repeat until all the dough has been used up. The result was eight patties.
- Make a small patty and flatten it in your hand. Create a ball of cheese mixture.
- Now seal all the edges. Continue until all the dough and cheese veggie mixture is used.
- With this mixture, I was able to make eight patties. Top every patty with cashew. Prepare all in the same manner.
- The parchment paper should be greased with oil. Air fry or bake the kebabs. It is recommended that you spray some oil on the surface. Air fry them at 350° F for 15 to 20 minutes until they are golden brown.
- For pan-frying: A pan on medium heat should be heated with two tablespoons of oil. The patties should be placed on the hot pan once hot. Cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Take-out when done. Hara Bhara Kebab is ready to be served.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- It is possible to adjust the amount of chaat masala or amchur powder according to your taste preferences.
- Increase the number of green chilies for a spicy kabab. Also, you can add cayenne pepper or paprika (or red chili powder).
- This kabab should not be shallow fried or deep-fried as they are light in texture and can break in the oil.
- The kabab will break if there is too much moisture in it and the binding ingredient is not enough. The kabab mixture should therefore have more roasted gram flour.
Whether it’s mint chutney or coriander chutney, or green chutney or even tomato ketchup or sweet tamarind chutney, these green patties go great with any chutney. For those who prefer kababs and want to enjoy a gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian snack, try Hara Bhara Kabab.
As a brunch item or a starter, this finger food is simple to prepare. Not heavy, but light. Sandwiches, wraps, or hamburgers can also be filled with it. This disguises the spinach, making it palatable for kids.
Store them in an air-tight container and store them in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Before serving reheat in the microwave or on a pan and then serve.
Some other easy recipes you would like on my blog – Cauliflower Red Lentil Curry Soup, Spinach Quesadilla, Healthy Oatmeal Spinach Pancake With Spicy Tofu, Healthy Oatmeal Spinach Pancake With Spicy Tofu, Russian Salad (OLIVIER SALAD)Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
*SOME OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST ARE AFFILIATE LINKS AND WE WILL RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE AFTER CLICKING ON OUR LINK. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR WORK HERE AT Pinchofflavours!