Eggless Christmas Plum Cake | Fruit Cake Recipe. The holidays are a time for cheer, love, and lots of desserts! As I sit beside a beautiful Christmas tree, my favorite time of the year is when I am making some gorgeous desserts in the kitchen and sipping on hot chocolate. So, I am planning some delicious recipes for you guys to try this year so that you can share all my cheer with others.
Those who like Vegan & Vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Please join my Facebook page if you enjoy cooking vegetarian/vegan dishes – Pinch Of Flavours
At the end of this post is a recipe card and a disclosure of Amazon affiliate links.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
Instead of spending the holidays abroad(Outside India), this year we will be spending it at home with our family and friends. Making it even more special, why not bake with and for your loved ones? Moreover, you know what! A good ol’ Plum Cake definitely says Christmas! Here is a recipe for an eggless plum cake, made with the most delicious spices, that’s both rich and absolutely delicious!
Here is an easy and delicious Christmas fruit cake recipe that does not contain eggs or alcohol. This yummy Christmas favorite is also vegan.
This plum cake recipe differs from many traditional recipes in that it is packed with dry fruits to enhance the flavors.
About Eggless Christmas Plum Cake | Fruit Cake Recipe
Any cake containing dried fruit (such as currants, raisins, or prunes) or fresh fruit can generally be classified as Christmas plum cake. Many people enjoy plum cakes and puddings during the holiday season. Plum cakes are traditionally served during the Christmas holidays in India, often with ingredients such as rum or brandy.
In the past two centuries, since it left England, the plum cake has been exported across the globe. The recipes vary from country to country, region to region, and family to family. Many are made with nuts soaked in rum while others are soaked for weeks in sherry or brandy after baking. Some even contain alcohol.
- 1 1/2 cup – All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup – Vegetable oil/ butter
- 1 cup – Plain / Vegan yogurt
- 1/8 tsp – Ginger powder
- 1 cup – Brown sugar
- 1 tsp – vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp – Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp – Baking soda
- 1 tsp – Baking powder
- 1 tbsp – Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup – Orange juice
- 1 tbsp – Black raisins (dried)
- 5 – Prunes (dried)
- 5 – Apricots (dried)- Tuttifrutti
- 1/4 cup – Cranberry (dried)
- 1/4 cup – Raisins
- Orange zest little
- 1/4 cup – Cashewnuts,
- 1/4 cup – Almonds,
- 1/4 cup – Walnuts,
- 1/4 cup – HazelnutS
- 1/4 cup – Macadamia nuts
For soaking – For making a Christmas Plum Cake, dry fruits are soaked in rum or brandy for months or even years. But let’s face it, not everybody remembers to do this, and if that describes you, then you’re at the right place. My eggless plum cake does not contain alcohol and I use a quick, quick method for soaking dried fruits which I adapted from bake with shivesh blog my dry fruits with orange juice, lemon juice, and water. By doing this, the dry fruits become extremely flavorful. I make a plum cake with prunes, dried cranberries, raisins, apricots, tutti frutti, and dried apricots. Use whatever dry fruits you have in your cupboard!
For the Baking of cake – The cake is moist, soft, and eggless because I make it with yogurt and no eggs. You can replace eggs with yogurt. It renders the cake fluffy and light and gives it a similar texture. To give the cake a more intense flavor and a deeper color, I also add brown sugar to the batter.
Winter Spices – Baking in the winter is special because of the sweet aroma and warming touch of spices like cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and so on. I used cinnamon, cloves, and ginger powder in this eggless plum cake. The taste and texture of the dessert would be ruined if you used whole spices in this recipe. We want to achieve a subtle flavor with these spices.
Check out the Christmas Plum Cake | Fruit Cake Recipe Video:
How To Make Christmas Plum Cake | Fruit Cake Recipe Step By Step With Photo:
- In a frying pan, on medium heat add vegetable oil/butter. Add chopped dry fruits and sautee the chopped dry nuts for 3 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Chop the dry prunes, dry apricots, and dry cranberries. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat adds orange juice, water, lemon juice. Stir for one minute.
- Add tutti-frutti, black raisins, raisins, prunes, cranberries, and apricots. Boil everything on medium heat for 10 minutes. Keep it aside.
- In a large bowl, add all-purpose flour, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, orange zest, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Take another bowl, add vegetable oil, brown sugar.
- Mix well till the brown sugar dissolves.
- Add plain/vegan yogurt, vanilla essence. Mix well nicely.
- Add all the dry ingredients into the brown sugar mixture.
- Mix the batter with the fold and cut method.
- Add the sautee dry nuts and reserve some for decorations, add the chopped dried fruits. Mix everything nicely. Our cake batter is ready.
- Take a mould grease the parchment paper with butter. Pour the cake batter in the mould level on all the sides with a spatula.
- Tap the mould 5 times to level the batter. Top the dry nuts and dry fruits on the batter.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Stovetop method: Preheat Kadai for 5 minutes on high heat place the stand.
- After 5 minutes place the cake mould.
- Cover and bake for 45 to 55 minutes on the lowest flame. Check with a skewer.
- Demould the cake. Flip the cake on a plate. Take out the parchment paper.
- Our Traditional Christmas fruit cake is ready.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- Whoever doesn’t mind a little more alcohol: Brush the cake with rum as soon as you remove it from the oven. Make small holes using a toothpick or thin skewer. Feed the cake with rum by pouring a few teaspoons every week. When done, cover it with parchment paper. You can do these 2 – 3 weeks before Christmas, skipping the last week. There’s no need to refrigerate the cake with this amount of alcohol.
- You can substitute unsweetened orange juice for the rum if you don’t like booze. Refrigerate the fruit after it is soaked in juice. Bake the cake as directed.
- Eggs can be substituted with yogurt if you don’t eat eggs 1 egg = 4 tablespoons of yogurt.
Is it possible to cook this cake in the microwave?
All my friends and relatives also, on social media, this is probably the most frequently asked question. Is it possible to microwave the recipe? Of course! Thanks to my recipe that is both oven and microwave-compatible, everyone can enjoy this eggless plum cake.
It is also possible to bake this cake in your microwave if it has a convection mode! Preheat the microwave to 160 degrees Celsius if you are going to bake this cake in the microwave. The cake pan should be placed on the tray and baked for 30-40 minutes. The golden edges on microwaves differ from one microwave to another, so be careful.
There are numerous ways to prepare this cake, including in the oven or a kadhai. To be honest, I just want you to make this recipe and enjoy it!Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.
*SOME OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST ARE AFFILIATE LINKS AND WE WILL RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE AFTER CLICKING ON OUR LINK. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR WORK HERE AT Pinchofflavours!