Try to recreate Butter Chicken Restaurant Style – Butter Chicken Recipe at your home to really taste the unique flavor of Indian cuisine. This recipe is authentic, filled with aromatic spices and the taste of Indian cuisine. Eat it with butter naan and rice!
The Butter Chicken is one of my favorite dishes, so it upsets me when it is too sweet or too oily, or just doesn’t have enough punch of flavor. This deliciously creamy chicken is super easy to make, thanks to the delicious sauce made from a delicious yogurt marinade. The Butter Chicken is divine!
Those who like vegan & vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Those of you who have been reading our blog for some time already know that we make videos for each recipe on our YouTube channel.
Feel free to use cooked chicken tikka or tandoori chicken instead of having to marinate and then pan fry the chicken. I do it when we have leftover tandoori chicken from the night before.
You can serve this for lunch, dinner, or even a lazy weekend brunch. Furthermore, the juicy and soft chicken chunks go well with the gravy. In short, it is wholesome and fulfilling at the same time.
The average person might assume butter chicken means many hours in the kitchen. But that’s not true at all. I’m making butter chicken in a matter of minutes and using only a small amount of butter and cream. I’ll show you how.
The smell of a good, great curry is what brings peace to your stomach after a chaotic day. It transports you to another world.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!.
You can find all the ingredients you need to cook butter chicken at home in any grocery store or supermarket. A form of Indian butter chicken, known as murgh makhani, is similar to British tikka masala, which was invented by Kundan Lal Gujral in 1948.
The curry sauce takes on a silky smooth texture when prepared in a buttery gravy with cream added. Restaurants tend to add copious amounts of butter, which can result in you feeling bloated or otherwise not feeling well from the grease.
When we tested the recipe, however, we found that we preferred starting the sauce off with Ghee (clarified butter, or use half regular butter and half oil).
You may already have easy-to-find spices in your kitchen cupboards, such as Garam masala, Cumin, Red Chili Powder, and Salt, but that’s not necessary to make great sauces. If you don’t, you should have them as you can use them in many Indian dishes.
In our version of butter chicken, we add cream at the very end of cooking, providing just enough creaminess to satisfy your cravings.
About Butter Chicken Restaurant Style- Chicken Makhani Recipe
A very traditional North Indian dish, Murgh Makhani or Chicken makhani is known by many different names. It is mildly spicy, thick, and rich curry sauce, made of chicken pieces made from chicken breast or chicken thighs.
In addition, the meat-lovers gravy complements the chicken’s soft and juicy pieces. Therefore, this dish could be served for lunch, dinner, or even a lazy weekend brunch.
You can enjoy Murgh Makhani with large rounds of flatbread or small pieces of chicken breast, chicken thighs, or pieces of chicken. It is a mildly spicy, rich, and thick curry made from chicken pieces.
This creamy, buttery chicken recipe takes two stages of preparation and is made using simple ingredients: onion, butter, tomato puree, and spices mixed with the meat. Moreover, the chicken is flavored completely with the remaining ingredients as a result.
Before baking or cooking the chicken, you need to marinate the tender pieces in thick curd or red chili powder. As this marination is very important, ensure that you don’t skip this step since it will taste good on the baked chicken.
A spice-infused yogurt marinade infused with fresh ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and spices gives the chicken its tender, flavor-infused texture. The spices used in Butter Chicken include turmeric, garam masala, chili powder, and cumin.
Moreover, Butter Chicken recipe | Butter Chicken Recipe is a staple dish in India. Furthermore, it is usually served with laccha paratha, butter, and garlic naan, roti, or even white rice. It is often eaten with Jeera rice made with Basmati Rice.
This Butter Chicken Restaurant Style- Chicken Makhani is,
- Lucious and rich
- Rich in Protein
- Spicy + Tangy
- Easy + Quick
- Perfect for weekday meals
Naturally Orange Gravy
You might be surprised to find out that your butter chicken gravy is reddish because it contains food color. Grilled chicken served with gravy typically has an orange color since it is predominately tomato-based.
The best cut of meat + marination
It is either a skinless bone-in chicken or boneless, skinless chicken thighs that are best for this recipe. After the chicken is marinated, it is fried, followed by a pan-frying and finally a gravy cooking process to get maximum flavor.
And boneless, skinless chicken thighs retain their juicy composition during this process. I love using them because they can be cut into bite-sized pieces and they stay tender right to the end.
You don’t need to marinate the chicken for hours, just 15-20 minutes will do. A quick yogurt marinates guarantees that the flavor seeps into the meat, making it even juicier and more delicious.
For butter chicken, half of the butter or cream is used. The extent of cream is 3-4 tablespoons. Cashews can be added to the sauce instead to keep it light and fresh taste without a lot of excess fat that can sometimes be too much and make you feel bloated.
Check out the Butter Chicken Restaurant Style- Chicken Makhani Video :
- 1.5 kg – Chicken ( boneless).
- 1/ 2 cup – Plain yogurt or greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp – Ginger paste.
- 1 tbsp – Garlic paste.
- 2 tbsp – Kashmiri red chilly powder.
- 1 tbsp – Coriander powder
- 1 tsp – Turmeric powder.
- 1 tbsp – Garam masala powder.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 tbsp – Refined oil.
- 4 tbsp – Butter. (Your choice on this)
- 9 to 10 pieces – Garlic cloves.
- 1 inch – Cinnamon.
- 3 – Cardamom.
- 4 – Cloves.
- 2 – Kashmiri red chilly.
- 2.5 cups – Onion roughly chopped.
- 4 to 5 – Tomato chopped.
- 1/ 2 cup – Cashew.
- 2 tbsp – Tomato ketchup.
- 2 tbsp – Tomato puree
- 1 tsp – Kasuri methi crushed.
- 2 tbsp – Fresh cream.
Chicken – Boneless chicken is a great choice here because it adds flavor to the curry.
Marination Ingredients – The recipe calls for the chicken to be marinated with a set of ingredients such as lime juice, ginger-garlic paste, and red chili powder, which should be left for an hour to allow it to soak up the flavors nicely. You can adjust the amount of red chili powder to your taste.
Fresh Cream – Thick cream makes sure all the spices are bonded with the protein you might find if you use Greek yogurt.
Chilies, Garlic, Onions, and Tomato – The spice tomato-onion masala is the foundation for this delicious curry, later marinated chicken is added to make it a protein-rich dish, and garlic adds a great flavor.
We add green chilies to make the dish spicier, and you can skip adding them if you prefer it to be less spicy because the chicken has been marinated in red chili powder.
Spice Powders – I have used coriander, turmeric, cumin powder, and fennel powder as spice powders, and I have used cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and black peppercorns for whole spices.
Oil – To prepare the curry you can use any vegetable oil. You may also use ghee or mustard oil.
Butter – This gives a very aromatic flavor as well as a rich taste to the gravy so a must add to this recipe.
Tomato ketchup & Tomato puree – To get a really good natural orange color these are added to the gravy.
Kasuri Methi – Crushed Kasuri methi is a must and there is no substitute for this.
How to make Butter Chicken Restaurant Style- Chicken Makhani step by step with photo:
- For marination, take medium boneless chicken pieces. Wash them thoroughly. Take a bowl to add all the chicken pieces. Add Greek yogurt / hung curd, ginger, and garlic paste, Kashmiri red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt to taste. Marinate everything nicely. After marination cover the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Take a wok, add 2 tbsp refined oil and add 2 tbsp of butter. Keep in medium heat. Add garlic cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves, Kashmiri dry red chilly. Fry for 1 minute. Then add onion chopped, fry till the onion is translucent.
- Add tomato chopped, cashews. Keep stirring. In low medium flame cover it for 15 mins. Check-in between. Open the lid after 15minutes. Remove from the flame. Let it cool down then grind in a blender
- On medium heat, take a pan. Heat oil and fry all the marinated chicken pieces. Fry one side then turn over and fry the other side of the chicken pieces. Take out all the chicken pieces and keep them aside.
- After it gets cold take the onion cashew mixture in a blender to make a smooth paste.
- In the same wok take 1 tbsp of butter. Now add the onion and cashew mixture into the butter. Add the Kashmiri red chilly powder, then tomato ketchup, tomato puree. Mix together nicely.
- Add two cups of lukewarm water. In a low medium flame, cook and cover the gravy for 10 minutes. Check-in between. Open after 10 minutes and mix.
- Add the chicken pieces into the gravy. Mix everything nicely. Keep stirring. Simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid after 10 minutes. Add crushed Kasuri methi and fresh cream.
- Ready to be served.
Important Suggestions To Keep In Mind
- In your local supermarket, you can purchase Garam Masala at a similar price, and it can be found in the spice section.
- The best chicken to use for this recipe is boneless, skinless that is cut into 1-inch squares. You can use bone-in chicken that is cut into medium squares.
- If fresh tomatoes are not readily available, use one 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes or 1 1/2 cups of tomato puree or tomato passata.
- It is best to use homemade garam masala, but any store-bought garam masala will do. Please note that garam masala is very different from curry powder.
- Butter: This dish is delicious with butter, but you can substitute ghee for it.
- Ketchup sweetness: I think a really mild sweetness in butter chicken that goes together with the sourness of tomatoes is actually quite nice. You can reduce the quantity of Ketchup or increase it depending on what you like.
- Chilli power – A pure chili powder is not the same as spice powder in the United States! American chili powder has ingredients other than dried chili powder. Use pure chili powder or cayenne pepper instead with the spiciness reduced.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can you use smoking butter chicken?
Inauthentic murgh makhani, the chicken is traditionally cooked in a tandoor or clay oven, which gives it a distinctive smoky flavor.
To recreate the flavor of that dish in your kitchen, you need to smoke the dish with a piece of charcoal or lump coal with little ghee on top of charcoal right at the end.
What are the essential dishes?
I usually share substitutes for ingredients you might not always have in your pantry, but Kasuri methi is one of the most essential ingredients in butter chicken.
A beautiful finish can be achieved by adding Kasuri methi to butter chicken. It adds a mild smoky flavor and just rounds out the flavors. Try to get it at your local Indian grocery store. You can also get it on Amazon. Do not skip this.
When stored in an airtight container, the freshness and flavor remain for quite some time. And if you cook Indian food regularly, make sure you stock up!
The chicken should be marinated for how long?
An hour of marinating is sufficient, although if you have time to spare, you can marinate it for about 3-4 hours too.
If properly stored in an air-tight container, this curry will last for about 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. Heat in a pan or microwave until warm. If you feel it has become too thick, then add in water and adjust the consistency.
Tandoori chicken once cooked or grilled cannot be frozen, but marinade can be frozen for up to 2 months by putting it in a freezer bag and freezing.
Remove the contents of the bag from the freezer, and then let it thaw on the counter before cooking.
The two most essential sides and starters of every Indian celebration are papadums and naan because every curry is incomplete without them. Serve with naan or paratha or jeera rice.
Papadums don’t need to be fried – just throw them in the microwave and cook until puffed up for 45 seconds to one minute. After Warming, they will be soft. However, when they cool down, they become crisp. Because they don’t expand as much as when deep-fried.Print
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.