Beguni Recipe | Bengali Telebhaja is a Bengali eggplant fry recipe, in which long thin brinjal slices are immersed in a spicy besan batter and then fried till golden brown. It is one of the favorite dishes of Bengalis and the most popular street food in Bengal. The Bengalis love this fried donut called TeleBhaja and it’s one of their favorite dishes
Those who like vegan & vegetarian recipes can join my Facebook group World Best Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.
Those of you who have been reading our blog for some time already know that we make videos for each recipe on our YouTube channel.
This snack is originally from Bangladesh but is now a popular snack in Bengal and Bangladesh. This is one of the most popular snacks in Bangladesh as well as in India and other parts of Asia.
You may also like some other Air-fryer recipes on my blog – Samosa With Olives And Peas Patties – Air Fried, Vegan Spanish Spinach Croquettes – Air Fried, Air Fryer Cucumber Fritters, Chili Cheese Toast – Air Fryer Spicy Cheese Toast.
Sharing is caring! LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
About Beguni Recipe | Bengali Telebhaja Recipe
This Beguni Recipe | Bengali Telebhaja street food in Kolkata is gluten-free, vegan, and perfect when combined with a cup of chai or tea. A beguni is a crispy spread made from eggplant slices, fried in a Bengali-style besan (chickpea) dough.
Crispy from outside and soft from inside, these are also my favorite to serve during Durga puja or even weekend lunch. Just munch on them, and enjoy your cheat day!
This dish is.
- Easy to make
- Perfect for rainy days
- Perfect for your evening snacks
- Great with khichuri, rice and dal meals
Check Beguni Recipe | Bengali Telebhaja Video Recipe
Baigan/Brinjal/Eggplants – This beguni is prepared with a variety of with fewer seeds inside them and marinated in thick besan batter with some spices mixed in it before deep frying.
The ideal thickness should be approximately 1 cm and the pieces of eggplant should be washed and cleaned.
For the batter – Now to make the spiced batter, we will mix all the remaining ingredients in a bowl. These ingredients include besan (chickpea flour), rice flour, salt, ginger paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, baking soda. The batter is slightly spiced, which adds a spicy flavor to the outer layering of the batter.
You can add red chilly powder according to your spice level.
Poppy Seeds – Poppy seeds gives this recipe a great taste.
Spices – Generally we use cumin powder, carom
Nigella Seeds’ s – You can use nigella seeds or kalonji as well as carrom seeds. It helps with digestion.
Rice Flour – It gives a perfect crispy texture to the batter.
Oil – You can use any vegetable oil or refined oil.
How to make Beguni Recipe step by step with photo :
1. Discard the stem of the eggplant/begun/brinjal and cut it lengthwise into 1 cm thickness and keep it aside.
2. Let’s prepare the batter. In a large bowl mix together gram flour, rice flour, poppy seeds, nigella seeds/kalonji, turmeric powder, chili powder, salt, and a pinch of baking soda.
3. Now add water a little at a time to make a thick lump free and smooth batter. The batter should be thick and flowy. Add a tbsp of hot oil to the batter and whisk. This makes the fritters more crispy.
4. Now immerse the brinjal slices in the batter and drain off the excess batter and carefully add the slices to the hot oil. Fry till golden brown on both sides.
5.Take out in a kitchen towel to drain out excess oil.
6. Sprinkle with some chaat masala and serve it hot with some chai or muri(puffed rice) or khichuri.
Important Suggestion To Keep In Mind
- Traditionally Remember to use a big variety of purple brinjal you can either slice then long thins or rounds.
- Deep fry them in medium hot oil.
- Add red chilly powder according to your spice level.
- Use rice flour and cornflour for extra crispiness.
- Use nigella seeds or carrom seeds for must as deep-fried so it will help with digestion.
- Add 1 tbsp hot oil into the batter to make it even crispier.
Baked – Firstly preheat the oven at 425°F. Place a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside. Make the beguni’s as per the instructions given in the recipe card.
Once you dip the brinjal’s in the spicy batter, allow them to sit for about 4-5 minutes.
Now place the brinjal slices into the baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for more 10 minutes. Serve hot with kasundi or khichuri or sauce.
Air Fried – To make Air Fryer beguni’s, make the beguni as per the instruction given. Now dip the brinjal’s in the batter and allow them to sit for about 4-5 minutes.
In the meantime, preheat the Air fryer to 180 C or 360 F for about 5 minutes.
Brush or Spray the basket with oil and add brinjals in one layer on the basket tray.
Close the basket and air fry the brinjal’s about 10 minutes. Make sure to flip the brinjals once in the middle. Spray or brush more oil if needed. Enjoy less calorie beguni without guilt.
Beguni and khichuri are a perfect combination for each other and are adorable to all Bengali’s.
This is a versatile meal that can be enjoyed at any time of day as a lunch or snack. Muri Beguni is the most popular way to enjoy this deep-fried treat, and it is one of those versatile foods that you can enjoy at any time of day for lunch and snacks.
Another way to eat a beguni is to have steamed rice and lentils for lunch or you can simply have them with evening chai or tea.
I will not recommend to store them as they become soggy and oily. Brinjals or began are those vegetables if kept long after cooking they don’t taste good.
They are super easy to prepare so make them fresh and serve hot only.
Note: A rough estimate of nutrition is provided.
We Love to hear back from you and appreciate your success stories!
Have you tried this “Recipe”? Please feed us with your ★ star ratings and comments below.